A very brief encounter!

That’s a.m. – 3:20 am.

Wednesday morning.

I think we’d maybe gotten a couple of hours’ sleep, and this was just about the time we were throwing last minute stuff into our suitcase, making sure we had everything we needed, and were thinking seriously about getting in the car and heading toward the airport.

Jake seemed happy that I was out of my bed and he was able to climb in. But less than amused that I would leave the lights on and go about my business – while he wanted nothing more than to sleep!

We finally left for the airport at about 3:30 am – we wanted plenty of time to make it through security, since I’m still sick – and on TPN, IV antibiotics, and have all sorts of medical paraphernalia that we figured the TSA might be a little stressed out about. We’d read up on the appropriate protocols for carrying this kinda of stuff while flying – and had the appropriate documentation.

We were surprised to find:

1. Delta’s counters were open and going like gangbusters at 4:00 am. What a surprise! Many previous occasions we’ve had to wait until 4:30 am for them to open.

2. How easy it was to get through security. Although I think it helped quite a bit to have a sympathetic TSA officer who went ahead and let us know that she’d let the screeners know that we were coming. I did have to go through the whole full-body pat down, etc – since I was still hooked up to TPN – it doesn’t finish until 7:00 am. They were very nice, I have to say.

Here’s our gate.

Yep – it says Flight 744 departing at 6:25 am for New York, NY.

Wild, huh?!

I was pretty wiped by the time we got settled on board. And I slept a good portion of the flight. I woke up at one point in time – looked out the window and saw this:

A great big frozen lake!

John looked over at the map and said, “Well, I guess that makes sense – we’re over Michigan – it’s one of the Great Lakes!”


Here we are on the plane.

Honestly – we didn’t purposely coordinate the blue thing. We never do – it’s just that we both like blue a lot and wear it often! We’re really not trying to be matchy, matchy – honestly Stacy and Clinton!

I slept a while longer, and shortly after the announcement that we’d be landing soon – just four hours after our take off! (We had a seriously kick butt tail wind the whole trip.) – I looked out the window and saw this:

I wish you could see this clearer – I was scrambling to get the camera out and get a picture at all – but those houses are AMAZING! These are not just houses – these are estates – gorgeous!

We landed, found our suitcase, and were met by a driver, who drove us to our hotel.

I’ll warn you – there are a LOT of photos taken through the car window!

Like this one…

Isn’t that just a beautiful church? I have no idea which church it is – but it’s pretty, so I took a picture!

I know – nearly impossible to tell – but that’s Ground Zero – THE Ground Zero. It was emotional just driving past it! And it wasn’t that far down the way from our hotel, either!

We made it to our lovely hotel, got checked in, and then got my TPN pump plugged in – so it’d be ready for use later that evening.

Here’s our hotel room – it was nice! 🙂

Nearly all of the bags you see there – with the exception of the suitcase – were what we needed to take along to deal with my health – crazy, huh?!


Here’s the view out our hotel window. We were in Tribeca. The Tribeca Film Festival was right around the corner!

I thought this was kinda wild:

The add with the violin on it is saying that this building is going to house 5 condos. Each condo will be a floor of the building. Here’s a better view of the building – although it’s a pretty long building, and you can’t see that well, unfortunately:

We were trying to figure out how much that would cost – a condo that was a whole floor of a building. Not cheap, we’re pretty sure.

This is up the street from our hotel a block – the AT&T building. We had excellent cell service in the hotel! LOL! That was one stinking tall building, by the way!

John did a little research in the hotel’s informative notebook. Then we got our coats on and headed out for a bit of a walk around the ‘hood.

I couldn’t help it – I just had to have this picture. It’s just that I’ve never seen this sign before and – I admit it – I thought it was funny!

See the red awnings back there to the left? That’s restaurant in the hotel.

That’s a little closer shot – kinda shaky, though – it’s hard to take pictures with mittens on!

Speaking of mittens – it was seriously cold. The wind was crazy cold – but, being that Manhattan is an island, I guess that makes sense. We walked as long as we could handle it – but the cold finally got the better of us and we headed back to our hotel.

John had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel – I watched. He was kind and picked something I wouldn’t want to eat! (Well, at least I’m 1 month down, and 2 to go on being NPO.)

I started not feeling so great that evening and went to bed pretty early.

The next morning when John went down to breakfast (and I was getting ready for the day) – I got a text message on my phone. It was John, and it said: “It’s snowing!”

And it was!

Here’s John – it’s snowing outside – and we’re waiting for the car to pick us up.


It snowed a lot!

In fact, it snowed most of the morning.

Good thing I had plans that involved being indoors and warm!

We were in NYC for an interview. That took up the better part of the morning and into the early afternoon. (More on the interview later.)

Then, when we were all done – we went for a quick walk around the neighborhood we’d been in for the interview. And here’s what it looked like:

Bright! Beautiful! Sunny! Cheeking cold, yes, but lovely! And no sign of snow anywhere!

We walked over to Rockefeller Center. You know what? It seems so much smaller in real life than it does on TV!

And just across the way is this building:

Pretty, huh? It has something to do with the show “30 Rock” – which, sorry – I have no idea about – I just really don’t have much time for TV.

I thought this building was pretty, too.

See that? On the left side? It’s Radio City Music Hall. Wild, huh?

And that, pretty much, was the end of our walking tour.

And then that, pretty much, was the end of our time in New York. We walked back to where we’d been for the morning, met our car, and then headed back by our hotel to pick up our bags, and then directly on to the airport.

Warning: more pictures through car windows to ensue!

Crazy neon everywhere!

Huge ads everywhere!

Cars everywhere!

I took this picture for Jonathan – aka Basketball Boy – gosh, I wish we’d had time to go to the NBA store – he’d have loved a t-shirt from there!

John took this one for Jessica – they saw tons of Dunkin’ Donuts when they were in Philadelphia and Boston in the Spring. I gotta say – there were – roughly – about a bazillion Dunkin’ Donuts in NYC!

We drove past Chinatown – and there was a REALLY COOL open air market going on – I could just barely get a snatch of it as we were driving by – but oh, it would have been so fun to go to!

Honestly – one day I’m coming back to NYC and I wanna eat really good Chinese food while I’m there. Sigh… I miss eating. And I really miss Chinese food!

This place looks like a good candidate for a try for yummy Chinese food, don’t you think? Get a gander at those roasted duck in the window on the left!

Okay – so you’re going to have to do some work to see this next famous site:

Yep – that’s the Brooklyn Bridge. But that’s not what I’m talking about.

See her? On the far right? She’s French, and probably the most identifiable landmarks in the United States!

See her?

On the far right – it’s Lady Liberty! One day – we’re coming back – and she and I are going to get better acquainted!

I gotta say – the NYC skyline is pretty impressive – even from inside the car!

And that was pretty much it.

We made it to the airport in good time – actually, the driver was blown away how well we did. We got checked in, John got a (very) late lunch, and we found a quiet corner so I could do my IV antibiotic. It took forever – it’s a gravy driven IV and we couldn’t find a very tall place to hang it from – but it got done, and that’s what matters.

We got on the plane, we settled in, and I fell asleep. I woke up one or two times, but the 7 hours went amazingly quickly, and before long we were back home.

We were in NYC for slightly more than 24 hours.


Next time – we’ll go when it’s warmer weather, we have time to go, and see, and do stuff. 🙂 And I think we should take our friend Ann with us – she used to live there, and her husband is a native – THAT, I’m thinking, would be the best way to go!

It is lovely to be home, though.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Dina. Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “A very brief encounter!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s