Did you know that we’re kinda weather wimps here in Oregon? Well, I shouldn’t lump the whole state into that. It’s us – the Portlanders – we’re the weather wimps. We don’t like it too wet, too hot, too cold, or too dry. What we like – for the most part – is sunny, no humidity, warm, lush, green, verdant, beautiful, breathtakingly blue skies, and a lovely place with an option for shade or direct sun. That’s not asking for much, is it?
We’re having a little stretch of gloriously warm weather right now. I’m chronically cold ever since I lost my weight. Yep. I’m the girl walking around in 90 degree weather sporting a cardigan. I’m the one in the restaurant trying to discreetly ask the hostess where the warmest seat in the restaurant is – in the summer months! Whatever!
Well – when it’s warm out, one of my favorite things to eat is a lovely pasta salad. (One must not make the assumption that anyone else in the household would agree to consume this, however. I’m on my own on this one!) So, I thought – in honor of today’s lovely weather – I’d share my favorite pasta salad receipe that I threw together a few years ago.
Here you go:
|0.75 pound||Italian Roast Beef (1/2 inch thick slice)|
|3/4 cup||Grated parmesan cheese|
|1/4 cup||Shaved parmesan cheese|
|1 small||Zucchini (peeled, sliced thinly)|
|1 – 7.5 oz jar||Pickled baby corn|
|1/2 cup||Pickled carrots|
|1/4 cup||Pickled asparagus|
|1 small jar||Marinated artichoke hearts|
|2 cups||Fresh mushrooms, sliced|
|5||Green onions, sliced|
|1/3 cup||Cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil|
|3/4 cup||Red wine vinegar|
|1/4 cup||Basalmic vinegar|
|1 large||Avocado, diced|
|6||Small tomatoes, wedged|
- Combine all prepared vegetables (omitting avocado and tomatoes) into a large mixing bowl. Add diced Italian Roast Beef. Toss together.
- Cook orzo according to directions. When done, drain – but DO NOT rinse. Toss the hot pasta with the vegetables and beef. (This will steam the vegetables a bit.)
- Quickly add in and toss the pesto, vinegars, and olive oil. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Shortly before serving, add in grated parmesan cheese and avocado. Once completely mixed through, garnish with tomato wedges (sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper), as well as the shaved parmesan cheese.